Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The winter olympics and fear

Holy cow.  These winter Olympics (2014) have been inspiring to watch.  Young people showing grace, perseverance, hard work ethics, and fearlessness.  Throw in some God given talent, and you have a competition. 
First are these very young girls skating in an international arena, doing spins, axels, toe loops etc.  These look incredibly difficult.  And dangerous.  Some of these skaters have had very serious injuries, and the surgeries to fix them.
And they come back out, retrain, face the pain, and do it again.  Hard to imagine.
Then come the skiers.  Long distance stamina.  Down hill slalom, finesse at seventy miles per hour facing God knows what pain if they fall.  Biathlon, taxing every muscle in their body to its limit, then having to calm themselves to shoot a rifle. 
Finally, those crazy half-pipe snowboarders. zooming up a straight wall of snow, reaching as high as they can go, and THEN doing all kinds of tricks, hoping they will be able to land gracefully back here on earth.
These young people amaze me. 
In an interview with one of the figure skaters, she was asked about performing her stunts on such hard ice, knowing she could reinjure her previous surgery.  Her response was she was reading Phil Jackson's book.  Learning to let go of fear and giving it all she had.  Her goal was the only thing in her mind.  Fear would hold her back.  Letting go of fear was the answer to success.
I have seen this question before, but it fits here:  "what could you accomplish if you knew you would not fail?"  
When Rita and I take a risk in business, the worst that will happen is we don't sell a doll.  Or it sells for less than we want.  Putting it in context of what these young people face, the hard work, the dedication, the pain, etc. our risk seems inconsequential. 
For myself, my fear is that I won't be able to pay the bills, heat the house, fill the pantry.  But I have an insurance policy.  I know that even in VERY tough times, Rita and I can tighten our belts, collect firewood off the side of the road, eat some soup, and get through it.  We have the Lord on our side.  In my 58 years, He has never let me down.
Another fear is the fear of failure.  This is part of my ego.  It is a part of me.  When asked what I do for a living, I say with pride, "my wife and I have our own business.  We make dolls and sell them all over the world."  It would hurt very deeply to fail.
This fear of failure can hold me back.  But business is nothing but taking risks.  Trying new ideas.  Keeping fresh and new.  All businesses must grow, expand, evolve, or they become stagnant.  When we get into a rut, its time to change and shake things up a bit.
So, to summarize, my risks are nothing like those Olympians.  But there are risks, there are real fears, and those fears have meaning, but they must be faced.  They must be conquered.  What can we accomplish if our fears don't hold us back?  The worst that happens is our dolls don't sell.  But we might succeed!  I know God wants us to do well, to succeed, to share our success with others, and spread His word. 
I think I can do that.  I think I can.  Yes, I think I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment