Thursday, April 10, 2014

I was nearly a seventh grade dropout.....

A couple of days ago, I met a family that bought a doll from us.  They live in San Bernardino.  The little girls doll needed a touch up.  This doll was a reward for maintaining good grades for three years.  She got straight A's for three years!  I can't imagine being in seventh grade and doing that well.  My seventh grade experience was quite different from hers.  But I digress.
My point here is that I remember realizing, later in life, that I love to learn new things.  I love reading about new stuff.  I am constantly amazed at the human potential.  An example was seeing the International Space Station orbiting the earth from my back porch.  Only a dream a few years ago.  It was fantasy.
I love to learn of the world around me.  I enjoy reading about people.  Some I like, some I don't.  But I learn from each life. 
There is an old quote that I cannot remember verbatim, but essentially is says "An unexamined life has no meaning."  In other words, we should all learn from one another.  We learn from triumphs and travails.  This is one of the key elements that separate us from other species.  We learn to not repeat mistakes (some of us take longer than others to learn).  We learn what worked and repeat it.  We improve upon it.
We build hospitals.  We develop new medicines.  We build better and better widgets.  Just look at the telephone.  Now a tiny device that fits in our pocket, not only makes phone calls, but takes pictures, and goes on the internet.  We are the only species to have made our lives better by innovation, experimentation, and tenacity.
I am grateful God has made me a human.  I love to learn.  I enjoy seeing others learn.  It gladdens my heart when a seventh grade girl can achieve so much.  It gives me hope.  David

No comments:

Post a Comment