Thursday, May 15, 2014

Fire and ants.....

Fire season is upon us!  The last three days have brought triple digit heat, very strong winds, low humidity, and happy-go-lucky arsonists.
The winds have caused some minor damage to our house.  A window panel above the wondow A/C unit blew out.  Quite forcefully.  Thank God for duct tape!
The media are covering some of the many fires in and around Southern California.  Its crazy out there.  Dozens of homes are gone.  Just plain gone.  Everything.  Lives are shattered.  Hopefully these folks are resilient.  I know that people come together in times of disaster.  They rebuild, but they will never be the same.
This scares the daylights out of me.  Rita and I live in the middle of a wildlife refuge.  We are in a very small group of homes, surrounded by brush and vegetation.  A fire could roar through all that in minutes.
And then there are ants.  I hate 'em.  Ugh.  With the high heat, they move in for the summer.  They get all over the kitchen.  I do my best to keep it clean, but they can find the tiniest little thing and feed on it.  A pain in the kiester.  Damn.
If I have to choose, I'll take the ants.  At least I will still have a home when I clean up.  I am grateful.
David

No comments:

Post a Comment